Thursday, October 4, 2012

Unsubscribe Page Fail

It's the marketer's final frontier. The last place you want your prospects to show up is on your unsubscribe page, but depending on how you approach it you might just have one more shot at keeping them in your database. On the other hand, like we'll see in today's epic marketing fail, you can also turn an unsubscriber into an active detractor of your brand.

THE EPIC MARKETING FAIL
My telecommunications provider occasionally sends me emails that I never signed up for. They provide no real value and as a result, I decided to [try] to opt out.

Here is their unsubscribe page:
The unsubscribe page.
So I can't just click a button to unsubscribe? You are going to make me go through great lengths to get off a mailing list I never subscribed to. OK. I am determined to get off this thing. Let me enter in all my information and my 'Home Phone Number'.

Do you want my Passport and Driver's Licence numbers too?

So my phone number didn't work. Well, this is getting frustrating. Let me dig up my account number from an old bill... yep, so that doesn't didn't work either. So I go back to the email, to write them to ask to take me off their mailing list, and then I get this email in return:

"Hello, we don't like to listen to our customers".
Yeahhhh. So after several unsuccessful attempts, I am still receiving these emails, and every time I get one it is a reminder that it's time to change service providers.

THE UN-FAILURE

Most of the time, marketers are trying to increase the conversion rate of their landing pages. The unsubscribe page is one major exception to that rule [despite it usually being the highest converting page you have - talk about irony...]

BUT, there is hope. Kind of like when you think your sports team is down for the count, someone puts the team on their back and throws up a Hail Mary to completely turns things around.

One amazing example of this that I recently ran into was the Groupon unsubscribe page. When you visit the page, you see this:
Groupon Unsubscribe Page
By pushing the little button (great call-to-action btw) this video plays:


This is definitely an example of how marketing has the potential to be awesome. Marketers just need to have the courage to go outside of the norm and do something different. I'll bet a bunch of people watched that Groupon video and decided to give the newsletter another chance.

Moral of the story/post: make it easy for people to unsubscribe, but try and give them one compelling/interesting/different/awesome reason why they shouldn't.

And someone please get Derrick a doctor... and a raise!

26 comments:

  1. Team on his back. Derek had a broken leg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In other words the blogger has to be honest, must provide information clearly & must have good communication with customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for giving, epic marketing fails, your website is really useful and perfect then others, I will bookmark your web for future updates.

    ReplyDelete